Crumbed Mushroom Burgers Featuring Heinz® Tomato Ketchup
We’re burger obsessed and this crumbed mushroom patty is sure to become your new favourite filling. We made ours using large portobello mushrooms, coated in panko crumbs and topped with Heinz® Tomato Ketchup & Original Burger Sauce - YUM!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika or Paprika
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 large portobello mushrooms*, stems removed
- 3 - 4 Tbsp olive oil, extra
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, cut in half
- 1 cup rocket or salad greens
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Heinz® Tomato Ketchup
- Heinz® Original Burger Sauce
- Heat the 1 Tbsp olive oil in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Add the onions and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and softened.
- Place the eggs, flour, milk and Smoked Paprika or Paprika into a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Place the breadcrumbs into a separate bowl.
- Heat the extra olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Dip the mushrooms into the batter mixture then the breadcrumbs. Press firmly to coat. Add to the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Top each mushroom with a slice of cheese.
- Meanwhile, toast the cut side of the hamburger buns under a preheated grill until golden.
- To serve, lather some Heinz® Tomato Ketchup onto the base of each bun. Add a mushroom topped with cheese and a layer of cooked onion. Top with rocket or salad greens and tomato slices. Spread the bun top with a generous amount of Heinz® Original Burger Sauce. Place on top of the burger.