Tomato, Bean & Lamb Shank Pies with Heinz Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce
alow-Embark on a culinary adventure with our Tomato, Bean & Lamb Shank Pies. Tender and succulent lamb shanks are slow-cooked to perfection in a rich tomato-based sauce, infused with aromatic herbs and spices. These pies are the epitome of comfort food, ideal for cozy gatherings and memorable family dinners.
2 hours & 30 minutes
- ½ CUP FLOUR
- FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER & SALT, TO TASTE
- 6 LAMB SHANKS OR LAMB DRUMSTICKS
- 1 TBSP OLIVE OIL
- 1 ONION, PEELED AND CHOPPED
- 1 CLOVE GARLIC, CRUSHED
- 400G CAN CHOPPED TOMATOES
- 300G HEINZ BAKED BEANZ IN TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 LITRE BEEF STOCK
- 100ML RED WINE
- 2 SPRIGS ROSEMARY
- 1 SPRIG OREGANO
- 2 SHEETS READY-PREPARED PUFF PASTRY
- 1 EGG, LIGHTLY BEATEN
- Combine flour with salt and pepper. And dust shanks in flour mixture. Heat oil a large saucepan and cook shanks for 5 minutes until well browned. Add onion, garlic and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes, HEINZ Baked Beanz in Tomato Sauce, beef stock wine and herbs, cover and simmer for two hours or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone. Remove any remaining meat from the bone and reserve bones.
- Evenly distribute the beef and bean mixture between 6 x 1 cup capacity ovenproof dishes. Replace the bone to stand upright in the mixture.
- Cut six rounds of pastry from the pastry sheets to fit slightly larger than the top of the dishes. Cut a hole in the shape of a small cross in the centre of the pastry tops to allow the shank bone to protrude through. Brush the base of the pastry disk with egg wash and firmly secure on top of the pies. Brush the pastry tops with egg wash and bake in a preheated oven of 200˚C for 20–30 minutes or until the tops are golden.